The Bottom Line
After years of testing, Dan and Diane True have developed the ingenious Hummingbird House, the only nesting platform of its kind specifically engineered to attract nesting hummingbirds. Each simple kit includes two ready-to-use houses with detailed instructions and tips that can have hummingbird enthusiasts becoming hummingbird landlords quickly and easily.
- Sturdy, durable construction can last for years.
- Includes detailed information for optimum use.
- Kit includes nesting material, foam shade leaf and mounting hardware.
- Years of testing for a proven effective design.
- Must be placed under an eave – lacks independent mounting ability.
- Name: Hummingbird House
- Manufacturer: Hummingbird House
- House Style: Platform
- Height: 3.5 inches (8.9 cm) not including ficus accent
- Width: 3.5 inches (8.9 cm)
- Depth: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)
- Entrance Hole Diameter: N/A
- Construction: Metal with plastic ficus accent
- Intended Birds: Hummingbirds
- Price: $34.95 for a set of 2 (via Duncraft; prices from other retailers may vary)
Guide Review - Hummingbird House
Hummingbirds are not cavity-nesting birds, and the idea of a house designed for hummingbirds may at first seem unrealistic. The Hummingbird House, however, is not a house per se – it is an innovative nesting platform designed to appeal specifically to hummingbirds by simulating a forked branch. The spine and struts are sturdy metal with a rough texture coating to provide stability for the nest structure, and the attached fake ficus branch helps camouflage the nest and gives the mother hummingbird a convenient perch.
The spine of the Hummingbird House curves above the nest supports and can screw easily beneath the eave of a house, garage or shed. All mounting hardware is included with the kit, and a green foam leaf provides additional shade and camouflage if necessary. Along with the basic house kit, a small amount of nesting material is included to offer even more incentive for nesting hummingbirds to build their nest on the Hummingbird House structure.
While the Hummingbird House is simple enough to be intuitively assembled, an easy assembly diagram is included with each kit. Two pages of tips are also provided, including information such as where to place the nesting platform for the best chance of attracting hummingbirds, as well as other tips to encourage hummingbirds to use the nesting platform – weather conditions, window reflections and feeding hummingbirds are all briefly discussed.
More than five years of testing from Dan and Diane True have proven that the Hummingbird House is successful with different hummingbird species, including Anna's, ruby-throated, black-chinned, broad-tailed and magnificent hummingbirds. Because of the care taken with the nesting platform's design, any hummingbird enthusiast using these houses has a great chance of enjoying the company of nesting hummingbirds.