This strutting pheasant was pecking in the brush by a ditch on a back country road in Fonthill, Ontario, Canada.
It was not paying me any attention, so just maybe there was a female around that he was strutting for...
Tips and Tricks
- If you are going into the bush, try not to go alone.
- Always let someone know where you are going.
- Dress properly, warm, and have fluids with you.
- Don't drag all your camera equipment with you, just what you may need.
- If you have a cell phone, carry it around with you.
Melissa Mayntz, Birding / Wild Birds Guide, says:
Ring-necked pheasants are truly beautiful birds, and winter photos really show off their gorgeous colors. In many cases, it can be easier to photograph these birds in the winter, when they're more actively foraging in the open, as opposed to when they can hide more easily in other seasons.