The Bottom Line
The North American Bird Coloring Book is a delightful way for all ages to enjoy the beauty of birds, perfect to introduce young children to birding or for adults to relive the coloring days of their youth. The crisp, clear outlines are easy to color and the educational details provide a decent background on each species, making this book as informational as it is entertaining.
- Each coloring page includes detailed species information.
- Clean outlines are easy to color and accurate for each bird.
- Includes coloring guide with each bird's breeding plumage.
- Pages are not perforated for clean removal or display.
- Illustrations are only of single genders, even in dimorphic species.
- Title: The North American Bird Coloring Book
- Authors: Sally MacLarty (illustrator) and David Hutley (author)
- Publisher: New Holland Publishers
- Publication Date: 2010
- Format: Paperback
- Page Count: 239
- ISBN: 978-1-84773-745-8
- Price: $5.99 (Borders discount price; prices from other retailers may vary)
Guide Review - The North American Bird Coloring Book
Even birders who don't care to color will be impressed with The North American Bird Coloring Book, because even though it is clearly meant to be colored, the detailed information on each species' length, description, voice, behavior, habitat and distribution works as an interactive field guide. At the same time, the clear, accurate line drawings of each species are just as beautiful as they are informational, and each bird is shown in a typical pose: the wild turkey is strutting, the Atlantic puffin has a billful of fish, the ruby-throated hummingbird is sipping from a flower, the cedar waxwing is plucking a berry and the western meadowlark is singing.
A wide selection of birds is pictured, from seabirds and waterfowl to shorebirds, raptors, sparrows, warblers, thrushes and other songbirds. Several common and familiar species are missing, however, such as the rock pigeon, ring-billed gull, downy woodpecker and house sparrow, but despite those and similar omissions, the 110 included species represent birds from all areas of North America and a variety of habitats.
Whether this coloring book is a gift for a young birder or a relaxation tool for an experienced one, it can be a fun and enjoyable way to experience birds. Use it to make a children's field guide, color each species as it is added to your life list or just color your favorite birds and rediscover their beauty.