The Bottom Line
A fun and easy project to assemble for a basic birdhouse, plus a great way to promote green birding.
- 100% recyclable and made from recycled materials
- No cutting, glue, staples or tape required
- Excellent ventilation beneath eaves and through vent holes
- Safe birdhouse design
- Simple customizable appearance
- Only usable for one nesting season
- Instructions for attaching the roof are unclear
- Dimensions suitable for only a small range of bird species
- When attached to hang the cloth strap obscures drainage holes
- Lightweight design may blow in the wind
- Name: GreenBird Paper Birdhouse
- Size: 8.5” tall, 9” long, 7.5” wide
- Hole Diameter: 1.25”
- Cost: $12.99 plus tax and shipping
Guide Review - GreenBird House
The GreenBird House is a biodegradable recycled paper bird house with an easy to fold tab-and-slot construction. Clear instructions lead builders through the step by step assembly process and the house can be assembled in 10-20 minutes. While the instructions for attaching the roof are unclear, scored folds make it easy to try several orientations to complete construction.
The educational packaging of the GreenBird House adds another environmentally-friendly dimension to the project. Details on the house are included, as well as brief species profiles and nesting habits of the birds the house is suitable for: house wrens, Bewick’s wrens, tufted titmice and white-breasted nuthatches.
All necessary equipment is included with the house: instructions, clearly marked house pieces and a cotton strap for hanging. Suggestions for both hanging and pole mounting are included in the instructions.
The design is safe and easy for children to use and would be a superb project for classrooms, nature centers, bird festivals or other events.
The simple, classic house design can fit well into any backyard and can be easily customized. Customization can affect the environmental safety of the house, however, and birders should take care to use compostable materials to decorate the house to ensure its eco-friendliness. Promotional versions of the house are available in bulk for events and businesses.