The Bottom Line
The Magnolia Push-Pull Hummingbird Feeder from Perky-Pet uses a “top fill” design with sports bottle action, effectively combining modern hummingbird feeder design with an elegantly classic look. The 16-ounce capacity of the feeder ensures it will be enjoyed by hummingbirds consistently, and it takes just minutes to learn how to operate the feeder for easy refilling.
- Innovative sports bottle design eliminates tipping to fill.
- Attached perches accommodate feeding birds.
- Red base and cap provide color to attract hummingbirds.
- Four feeding ports can accommodate multiple birds.
- Wide mouth lid can be difficult to grip with necessary hand strength.
- Yellow feeding port centers lack bee guards and may attract insects.
- Only comes with a small hanging hook.
- Feeding ports do not detach, making cleaning more difficult.
- Name: Magnolia Push-Pull Hummingbird Feeder
- Manufacturer: Perky-Pet
- Feeder Type: Hummingbird / Nectar
- Height: 7” (17.8 cm)
- Diameter: 5” (12.7 cm)
- Capacity: 16 ounces
- Construction: Plastic
- Price: $11 (via Perky-Pet; prices from other retailers may vary)
Guide Review - Magnolia Push-Pull, Top Fill Hummingbird Feeder
The idea of refilling a hummingbird feeder from the top instead of removing the base is an attractive one, and the Magnolia Push-Pull Hummingbird Feeder is a classic, easy design to use. Instead of removing the feeder’s base and refilling from the bottom, the reservoir of this feeder moves up and down to snap into open and closed positions that prevent nectar from leaking out the feeding ports when the interior vacuum is opened for refilling. The wide mouth top unscrews easily and nectar can be poured in without drips or spills that would attract insects. When refilled, simply screw the top back on to form an airtight seal and pull up on the reservoir to open the feeding ports and the feeder is ready for use again.
It may take a few minutes of practice to learn how to use this feeder most effectively, and it is best to keep the feeding ports closed until the feeder is ready to hang. When refilling, some nectar does remain in the base and can leak even if the ports are closed, but drips are minimal. Of course, opening the feeder without first pushing down on the reservoir to seal off the feeding ports will cause extensive leaks, but it will not damage the feeder.
Made of sturdy plastic, this feeder is easy to clean but the clear plastic reservoir may discolor over time, especially if it is hung in the sun. The base and feeding ports can be difficult to clean without a small brush, but thorough rinsing can be effective.
The Magnolia Push-Pull Hummingbird Feeder is a great design to add to a hummingbird feeder collection. With its innovative design and moderate capacity, it is sure to help any backyard birder attract hungry hummingbirds.