The Bottom Line
The sheer size of the Birdscapes 2-in-1 Triple Tube Feeder may be intimidating at first, but its individual seed reservoirs, nine feeding ports and durable construction immediately prove its worth for serious backyard birders. The convertible feeding ports and oversized protective lid keep this feeder versatile in any season, no matter what birds are hungry or how many of them visit the buffet.
- Extra-large capacity with multiple tubes can accommodate many birds.
- Solid construction includes a protective cover and tray to catch seeds and hulls.
- Convertible feeding ports are suitable for different types of birdseed.
- Removable lid makes the feeder easy to clean and refill.
- Plastic screw attachment between the lid and feeder may loosen over time.
- Clear plastic tubes may show wear or discoloration over time.
- Size and weight when filled may be inconvenient for some birders.
- Name: Birdscapes 2-in-1 Triple Tube Feeder (model #329)
- Manufacturer: Perky-Pet
- Feeder Type: Seed (convertible)
- Height: 21" (53.4 cm)
- Width: 13" (33.0 cm)
- Capacity: Up to 11 lbs (5 kg) depending on seed type
- Construction: Plastic with metal feeding ports and perches
- Price: $63.07 (via Perky Pet; prices from other retailers may vary)
Guide Review - Birdscapes 2-in-1 Triple Tube Feeder
The Birdscapes 2-in-1 Triple Tube Feeder from Perky-Pet is almost intimidating to inexperienced backyard birders, but anyone familiar with how much seed birds can eat will welcome the 11-pound capacity and three generous individual seed reservoirs this feeder offers. Nine feeding ports – three on each tube – give birds of any size ample space for feeding, and the upper two ports on each tube are equipped with 2-inch perches that can accommodate large songbirds. Those same large perches, however, may invite less desirable birds such as European starlings to feed, but the separate reservoirs of each tube will help moderate seed loss.
The metal feeding ports on each tube are coated for durability, and they easily twist to switch from large seeds such as black oil sunflower seeds or mixed seed to small, narrow ports for Nyjer. This gives the feeder flexibility to be customized for different seasons as the composition of backyard flocks changes.
The base of each tube is angled to direct seed to the feeding port so less seed is out of reach of birds, and small ventilation holes in the base of the tubes will keep the seed fresh and allow drainage if necessary. The feeder's plastic, recessed base serves as a tray to catch spilled seeds or discarded hulls, and is also equipped with small drainage holes. Birds can also perch along the base to feed from the lowest ports or directly from the tray.
The feeder's lid is a gentle dome constructed of clear, sturdy plastic that works as both a cover to protect the feeding ports and perches from moisture and a mild baffle to deter squirrels or other feeder pests, and the lid edge is reasonably out of reach of the highest feeding ports. The lid unscrews to reveal wide-mouthed openings for each tube, making refilling the feeder fast and convenient. The screw threads connecting the feeder and lid are plastic, however, and can loosen over time with excessive wear. Birders should remove the lid carefully to prevent excessive stress that could wear down the threads. A small loop on the top of the feeder is convenient for hanging, and the feeder includes a larger adapter hook to hang the feeder from garden hooks if desired.
Though its size can be startling, the Birdscapes 2-in-1 Triple Tube Feeder will quickly become a favorite feeder for serious backyard birders. The large capacity, sturdy construction and easy conversion for different types of seed make this an exceptional feeder to add to any backyard with hungry birds.